May 15, 2012

Peanut Butter Jelly Cupcakes

     Peanuts. Is there a more perfect food?  I can easily say that this is the one food I don't think I could live without... In my mind just about everything tastes better with peanuts or peanut butter.  Think about it... pad thai, toast, sandwiches, ice cream, beer... I could go on and on.   

     Thank you, George Washington Carver.  Thank you.

     Today's recipe came from delish.com and the instant I saw it I knew I had to make it.  I followed both the cake and frosting recipes exactly (with only one goof!) and do have some suggestions:
 
1.  Use quality jelly or jam - this does make a difference.  I recommend Stonewall Kitchen's red raspberry jam (here). 

2.  If you have the patience, I would cut out a small hole in the center of the baked cupcake and fill with jam.  Then top with frosting.  Trust me, it will be easier to eat.

3. To frost the cupcakes use a pastry bag or a zip-top bag with one end snipped off.  Again, so much easier.

Peanut Butter Cupcakes
  • 1 3/4 cup flour
  • 3/4 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 sticks butter **
  • 1 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter (Reese's is the best!)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
** I goofed and used 2 sticks of butter.  Thankfully, my cupcakes looked and tasted great so no harm done, I guess!

1. Preheat oven to 350.  Line standard muffin tins with paper liners.

2. Whisk dry ingredients in large bowl.  Cream butter and sugar in stand mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Add peanut butter and then eggs (1 at a time), beating after each addition.

3. Reduce speed to low.  Combine sour cream and vanilla in bowl.  Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with sour cream mixture and ending with dry.  Scrape sides of bowl.

4.  Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.  Bake until tester inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes.

5.  Once cupcakes are cool, front tops with peanut butter frosting, placing a dollop of jam in center of frosting.

Peanut Butter Frosting (this is rich)
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter (I prefer Reeses')
  • 3 tbsp milk, or as needed
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar

1.  Place butter and peanut butter into medium bowl and beat with mixer (I used stand mixer). 
2. Gradually add sugar to mixture.  When it starts to get thick incorporate milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until all of the sugar is combined and the frosting is spreadable.  Beat for at least 3 minutes to allow it to get light and fluffy.
3. Spread with knife or place in pastry bag and decorate cupcakes.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment