June 5, 2012

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

    My second favorite ice cream flavor has to be mint chocolate chip, it's right behind anything with peanut butter!  Just imagine that same mint flavor in a cookie... mmm.  When I saw mint chocolate chip cookies on Sweet Pea's Kitchen (love her!) I immediately knew I was going to make them - and 5 minutes later that's what I began to do!  Such a good choice on my part - they are fantastic!  Soft and chewy with just a hint of mint, I could easily eat them by the half dozen (and I might have sampled 6 or so the day I made them!).
     I opted to go for a lighter mint flavor and replaced the Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips with regular semi-sweet chocolate chips.  Let's just say there was a peppermint extract incident a few years ago and I'm a little hesitant to add too much mint to anything I bake.  But if you'd like a more minty flavor I say go for it!

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
  • Green food coloring, 8-12 drops
  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1.  Preheat oven to 375 and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

2.  In medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.

3.  In bowl of a stand mixer beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the side of the bowl as needed.  Add vanilla and peppermint extracts and mix until combined.  Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, mix to combine.  One drop at a time, add enough food coloring to get the right shade of green (the brand I used took 12 drops but yours may take less).  Add the chocolate chips and mix until incorporated.

4.  Drop by tablespoons onto prepared cookie sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Let cookies cool on wire racks.  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment