August 30, 2011

Ranch Chicken Casserole

     It's Recipe Tuesday! Today's recipe is one I found in the margins of a magazine as an ad for Daisy Sour Cream: Ranch Chicken Casserole.  This is the first time I made this and it was really good; it got two thumbs up from my husband who requested that I make it again.  It was super easy to make and the building of it reminds me more of a lasagna than a casserole.
     To help speed prep time and add a bit more flavor I used the meat from a rotisserie chicken (I think we ate half of it as we were taking it off the bone!) rather than pull out the Foreman and grill a breast.  Next time I make this I'll use more tomatoes, maybe another entire can, as well as some fresh corn.  If you're serving this as a main dish for more than 2 people I would definitely use more than 1/2 pound of chicken, maybe 3 breasts.
  Ranch Chicken Casserole
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 (10oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 pound chicken, cooked and cubed (we used a rotisserie)
Corn tortillas
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 sour cream
1 pkg ranch dressing
Monterrey jack cheese
Cilantro (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350.  Cover bottom of 8"x9" pan with corn tortillas.  Sprinkle 1/3 of cheese, tomatoes, pepper, onion and chicken over tortillas. Repeat process, ending with a layer of tortillas.

2. Blend chicken broth, sour cream and ranch dip until smooth.  Pour evenly over the casserole and set aside for 3 minutes.

3.  Top casserole with remaining cheese and tomatoes.  Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown.  Let stand 5 minutes and sprinkle with cilantro (optional).

No comments:

Post a Comment