July 26, 2011

Homemade Blueberry Pie

     Hello! Looking back through my blog I noticed that I seem to post recipes on Tuesdays. This got me thinking that maybe I should add a new segement to my blog, Recipe Tuesday! My goal is to post a new recipe, either a main dish or dessert, each Tuesday. I'll let you know what works well and what doesn't and add any little tips I've discovered along the way. Here's the first official recipe in my new segment - blueberry pie!
     My husband and I are HUGE fans of blueberry pie and since this is blueberry season I thought I'd try my hand at baking one. I'm not a fan of making pie crust from scratch (although I am a fan of eating it!) so I prefer to use the Pillsbury crusts, it's just so much easier! Here's a super quick recipe that you can make anytime! Unfortunately, because it is so easy to make this summer I've found myself baking this pie at least once a week... and with my husband's help it's usually devoured within 48 hours ;)

Blueberry Pie
2 rolls of pre-made pie crust
2 pints (4 cups) fresh blueberries
1/2 -3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp butter

1. Preheat oven to 375. Toss berries with sugar and cornstarch (I like my pie a little on the sweeter side so I use 3/4 cup of sugar)
2. Unroll bottom crust into pie pan and fill with berries. Cut butter into cubes and place around filling.
3. Top pie with crust and crimp or flute the edges. Cut a few steam vents and sprinkle lightly with sugar (note: raw sugar, the little brown packets you get at coffee shops, looks fabulous on top of the pie).
* To keep the crust from burning I always cover crust with foil before baking and remove the foil during the last 5 minutes of baking.
4. Bake for 30 minutes, then rotate pan and lower oven temp to 350. Bake for an additional 30-35 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
5. Cool for 3-4 hours. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment