May 30, 2011

It's Racing Season!

     Hello!  On Thursday, May 19th I participated in the annual Rock 'n Race in Concord. Nearly 6,000 people ran or walked the 5k (3.1 miles) race to raise money for the Concord Hospital Cancer Center for Care. At last count more than $400,000 was raised but this total is expected to rise as the final donations continue to come in. It's called the Rock 'n Race because all along the race route there are local bands and DJ's set up playing great music to help runners keep pace - no need for an iPod or headphones!  Runners have water stations but for walkers there are strawberry, chocolate and nacho stations to stop at!  This is my absolute FAVORITE race of the year - I can't wait until next year!
     While not a personal best, I was thrilled with her time of 26:43, especially since this was my first race of the season. Here are a few photos of the event.

Here I am enjoying a FREE pre-race massage from the local massage therapy students.

Just a small portion of the nearly 6,000 runners/walkers.  Can you see me?  Neither can I.

A happy face knowing that I'm going to cross the finish line with a time less than 27 minutes!

The starting line in literally in front of the state house. There is a band set up and TONS of free food from local restaurants available to all participants on the state house lawn.  The BBQ grills could be smelled at the 2.5 mile mark and was enough to encourage any runner to speed it up!  

No comments:

Post a Comment