Every October since 1991 Keene, NH has hosted the Pumpkin Festival. Most known for it's amazing display of carved pumpkins (last year there were an unbelievable 29,762!), this year the festival will be held on October 15th and 16th from 10am to 9pm on both days. Visitors to the festival can find plenty to do: arts and crafts vendors, food tents, pumpkin seed spitting and pie eating contests, live musicians and a costume parade.
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
3 cups flour
8 oz cream cheese (room temp)
1 stick butter (room temp)
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 350
2. Mix wet ingredients (oil, water, pumpkin, eggs and vanilla). Whisk together dry ingredients (sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt)
3. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well
4. Drop onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (I found this is a must for perfect pies!) using a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop (this ensures equal pies)
5. Make sure they are round; sometimes you may need to take a knife and shape them a little
6. Bake 12 to 14 minutes; cool before icing
7. To make icing: combine ingredients and beat until light and fluffy. Spread on cooled pies and sandwich.
Leave me a comment, I'd love to hear your favorite recipe!