December 4, 2012

Butterscotch Glazed Cookies


     Hello!  Today's recipe comes from Bakeat350.blogspot.com (here).  If you've never been to Bridget's blog I highly recommend it, she's so talented!  I wish I had the patience and dedication to cookie decorating that she does!
     I have to clarify one thing... Bridget calls her cookies "Butterbeer Cookies", not butterscotch glazed cookies.  When I brought them into school for my coworkers I had waaay too many questions about what kind of beer I added to the glaze and had to explain at least 15 times that there is no beer in the glaze or the cookies.  So I changed the name.  But that's all I changed. 
    I tried to make mine look pretty, in the shape of a pumpkin and a leaf, but once I got the gooey glaze on they turned into brown blobs.  But they are so buttery good that after one bite I don't think anyone will mind how they look!

Butterscotch Glazed Cookies

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp butter flavoring
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla extract

.
1.  Preheat oven to 350, line cookie sheets with parchment paper. 

2.  Cream butter and sugar.  Add egg, butter flavoring and vanilla extract; mix well.

3.  Gradually add flour and baking powder and beat until just combined (the dough will be very thick at this point).

4.  Roll dough on a floured surface to about 1/4" thick and cut into shapes.  Bake for 9-12 minutes, depending on thickness of cookie.  Let cool for 2 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.

Butterscotch Glaze

  • 2/3 cup butterscotch chips
  • 1/8 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 tbsp corn syrup
  • pinch of salt

1.  Place all ingredients in a double boiler with simmering water.  Heat until completely melted.

2.  Place cookies on wire cooling rack and pour glaze over cookies.  You may want to spread the glaze with a knife for even distribution.  Enjoy!

**I doubled the glaze recipe to make sure I had enough to cover the 2 dozen cookies.  There was a bit left over for "taste testing".



No comments:

Post a Comment