November 13, 2012

Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze


     Oh, dear... I'm beginning to think that just about anything tastes better with pumpkin.  Pumpkin whoopie pies, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin muffins and now pumpkin coffee cake.  
     Today's recipe comes from the blog PrettyGoodFood.com (here) by way of Pintrest.  Why is it that whenever I look for one thing on Pintrest I end up finding 15 other things that I didn't know I needed but can quickly convince myself that I can't live without.  I'm pretty sure it's impossible to spend less than an hour on that site.
    But I digress, back to the cake...I knew I had to make this recipe the instant I saw the crumbly, gooey topping.  And there's a bonus: it's made with boxed cake mix so it's going to be quick to make!
    This has to be the moistest, most flavorful coffee cake I've ever eaten!  The pumpkin cake is sweet, but not too sweet, while the brown sugar glaze and crumble topping provides the sweetness and practically melts in your mouth. This is definitely not a breakfast food, more of a dessert. 
     No, wait.  
     Pumpkin is technically a fruit so you could eat this for breakfast if you really wanted to.  And if you wanted to make it even more healthful, add some walnuts to the crumble topping...   

Pumpkin Coffee Cake

  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup brown sugar, divided
  • 1/2 flour
  • 4 tbsp butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

1.  Preheat oven to 350, grease 9x13" pan.

2.  In large bowl mix together water, pumpkin, eggs, 1 tbsp vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice until well combined.  Add cake mix and baking soda until just combined.  Pour batter into greased pan.

3.  In small bowl combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, flour and melted butter.  Use your fingers to crumble mixture on top of batter.

4.  Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.  After cooling for 10-15 minutes poke holes with toothpick or knife in top of cake.

5.  For glaze, combine remaining brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract and heavy whipping cream in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.  Remove from heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.  Pour glaze over cake, making sure to cover all areas.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment