November 6, 2012

Crunch Top Apple Pie



     Hello!  Today's recipe comes from Paula Deen by way of FoodNetwork.com (here).   Aaron and I took another trip up to Carter Hill and since their specialty is apples we picked up another  1/2 peck.   They also specialize in these ah-mazing apple filled cookies but I haven't quite figured out their recipe or how they fill the cookies.  We bought two bags of cookies so I could do some "research" on this.  No luck on their recipe yet but I'll keep you posted!
     This week I was looking for an apple dessert with a twist.  Not quite a pie and not quite a crisp.  I found just what I was looking for in Paula's recipe.  The unique ingredient of applesauce gives the pie a smooth texture without adding too much sweetness.  Paula's recipe calls for a lattice crust top in addition to the crumb topping but I'll be honest and say I was feeling a bit on the lazy side and decided to omit that part.  While we absolutely love this recipe I think the next time I make this I'll be adding some chopped walnuts to crunch topping for a little added crunch.  And maybe then I'll give the lattice crust a try!       

Crunch Top Apple Pie

  • Frozen pie crust
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 1/2 cups peeled, sliced apples
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice

Crunch Topping

  • 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats



1.  Preheat oven to 425.  Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, apples, apple sauce and lemon juice in bowl.  Spoon the apple mixture into pie crust and dot with butter.

2.  For crunch topping, combine flour, salt, sugar, and oats.  Using a fork cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.  Sprinkle over apples. 

3.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350 and continue to bake for 45-50 minutes or until topping is golden brown.  Let cool for at least 15 minutes.  Serve with a scoop (or two) of vanilla ice cream.  Enjoy!    



No comments:

Post a Comment