I have to warn you, these are not virgin cupcakes. Yes, I'm sure you could make them sans alcohol but really - who would want to?!
The cupcake is incredibly dense and moist with just a hint of coconut and pineapple. The frosting is, according to Aaron, the best frosting he's ever had, very light and adds just the right sweetness to the cupcake. These would be a unique dessert at a summer BBQ.
Pina Colada Cupcakes
- 8 oz can crushed pineapple
- 1/3 cup coconut rum (I used Bacardi Rock Coconut)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350. Drain canned pineapple, reserve 1/4 cup juice and 1 cup of pineapple.
2. In small bowl, whisk together pineapple juice, rum, coconut milk and vanilla extract. Set aside.
3. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. Using a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until ight and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Add milk mixture and flour mixture until just combined. Gently fold in pineapple and shredded coconut.
6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 20-24 mintues.
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
1. In large bowl combine whipping cream and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form, about 5 mintues.
2. Pipe onto cupakes. Store cupcakes in airtight container in refrigerator. Enjoy!