July 17, 2012

Blueberry Turnovers

     Hello!  It's Recipe Tuesday and today's recipe is one I found in the June issue of the magazine All You.  I've been looking for a way to use up the puff pasty that's been taking up space in our freezer so when I saw this recipe I knew I had to give it a try.  And I'm so glad I did... the first time I made these I believe Aaron's exact words were "Oh. My. Goodness.  These are freakin' awesome!". 
     These are incredibly quick and easy to make and, according to Aaron, should be made at least once a week!  The following recipe makes 4 turnovers, to make more simply double the blueberries and use the second puff pastry.  In this recipe I used frozen blueberries but once they're in season fresh ones would be the better choice.

Blueberry Turnovers
  • 1/3 cup blueberries
  • 2 tbsp sugar, plus 1 tsp
  • 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (1/2 of package), thawed
  • 1 egg

1. Preheat oven to 400.  In bowl combine blueberries and 2 tbsp sugar; mix to coat berries.  In separate bowl, whisk egg with 1 tsp water.

2.  On piece of parchment paper cut puff pastry into 4 equal squares.  Brush edges of pastry with egg wash.

3.  Spoon 1/4 of blueberries onto center of pastry.  Fold pastry diagnolly to form a triangle.  Using a fork, press edges to seal.  Repeat with remaining pastry.

4. Transfer turnovers to baking sheet.  Brush with remaining egg wash; sprinkle with sugar.  Cut small slit in top of each pie.

5. Bake until turnovers are golden brown, 20-25 minutes.  Allow turnovers to cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes before serving (trust me on this).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment