May 8, 2012

Sugar Cookies

     I tried making spinach lasagna... that didn't really work out so well.
     I tried making pumpkin soup... not so good.  And then there was that meatloaf that looked (and I'm sure tasted) nothing like the photo.
     To make a long story short I've come to the realization that I'm not a chef... I'm a baker.  And I'm ok with that.  Thankfully Aaron knew about this before the wedding and was prepared to do most of the nightly cooking (isn't he wonderful?!).   

     Anyhoo, here's my latest creation - sugar cookies!  I've stated before that I prefer to save time and buy the famous brand pre-made refrigerated dough but I think I've changed my mind.  It all started when I stumbled upon this ah-mazing blog, Bake at 350 (here).  Bridget is an absolute genius with cookie dough, her creations are stunning and it's so easy to get lost in her blog.  And as if her confectionery creativity isn't enough Bridget is sweet enough to share her sugar cookie recipe with readers.  There are a grand total of 7 ingredients in the dough and here's the best part (are you sitting down...) there's NO refrigeration required!

These cookies are perfect eaten as is but if you're adventurous you can frost them.  My favorite frosting is from one of my good friends, Betty Crocker.  Over the years I've tried just about all of her frostings but I have to say my absolute favorite is her Butter Cream flavor.  Yes, it tastes delicious on sugar cookies but I prefer to eat it sans cookie, right from the container.  But I must warn you... eating frosting in the manner this can lead to trouble (I was being polite for the camera, I usually eat it by the spoonful)

Vanilla-Almond Sugar Cookies
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 sticks salted, cold butter cut into chunks
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Combine the flour and baking powder, set aside.  Cream the sugar and cold butter.  Add the egg and extracts and mix.  Gradually add the flour mixture and beat until just combined, scraping the bowl, especially the bottom.

2. The dough will be crumbly, so knead it together with your hands as you scoop it out of the bowl for rolling. 

3.  Roll onto a floured surface and cut into shapes.  Place on parchment lined baking sheets (Bridget recommends freezing the cut out shapes on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before baking and I agree).  Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Cool on cooling rack.

I like thick sugar cookies so I usually get about 24 cookies per batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment