April 17, 2012

Shortbread Cookies

     Hello!  It's Recipe Tuesday and today's recipe for shortbread cookies was inspired by a recipe I found on the back of a bag of Nestle chocolate chips.  I absolutely love shortbread, almost as much as peanutbutter, so when I saw this recipe I knew I had to make it.  There's just something about the buttery goodness that I can't resist. 
     The original recipe makes shortbread bars.  I'm sure they would have been delicious but I wasn't in the mood for bars. So I tweaked the recipe a teeny bit and made cookies.  The dough was a bit sticky at first but after a short stay in the refrigerator it was easy to handle.   
     This recipe was incredibly fast and easy to prepare, only 5 ingredients!  The cookies are buttery with just a bit of crunch and  the chocolate drizzled on top adds just the right amount of extra sweetness.

Shortbread Cookies
  • 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips

1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Beat butter and sugar in mixer bowl until creamy.  Gradually beat in flour, mix until well combined. 

2.  Drop batter by rounded tablespoon onto cookie sheet.  Bake 15-17 minutes or until edges are slightly golden brown.  Cool completely.

3.  Using the microwave melt chocolate chips in microwave-safe bowl, stirring every 30 seconds.  This may take up to 2 minutes, depending your microwave.

4.  Drizzle chocolate over cookies with a spoon or pastry bag (sip-top bag with one end snipped off).  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. yum, yum, that must taste great. I need cookies in Kittery

    ReplyDelete