To save time and make this a quick weekday meal we use rotisserie chicken.
No, wait. That's not true.
A piece for me... a piece for the recipe... a piece for me...
Aaron and I love chunky
salsa and when we don't have time to make it ourselves we found Newman's Own Blackbean Salsa is the perfect substitute. It's a little on the warm side but when mixed with the rest of the ingredients it gives the filling just the right amount of kick (and I'm not a fan of hot/spicy foods).
And there's a bonus: these scrumptious little treats can be frozen until ready to use! Just freeze assembled taquitos for 30-60 minutes on baking sheet then transfer to freezer-safe container or freezer bag. To bake, simply add a few minutes to the 15-20 minutes baking time.
Creamy Chicken Taquitos
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened (low fat is ok)
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 1-2 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 10-12 6-inch flour tortillas
- Cooking spray
2. Place tortilla on work surface and spoon 2-3 tablespoons of filling mixture down the middle of the tortilla. Roll tortilla tightly around the filling and place seam-side down on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling, spacing the assembled taquitos evenly on the baking sheet.
3. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with a pinch of salt (Annie strongly recommends you don't skip this step and I concur!).
4. Bake 15-20 minutes of until crisp and brown. Serve with sour cream and salsa, if desired. Enjoy!