March 13, 2012

Carrot Souffle with Pecan Topping

     Hello!  It's Recipe Tuesday and today's recipe for Carrot Souffle (trust me, it's easy!) comes from the Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks #34, Thanksgiving.  It's one of those little recipe books you see in the checkout aisle at the grocery store, usually right above the celebrity magazines.  I originally picked up my copy as a last minute decision 2 years ago and I'm so glad I did.  It helped me create "the best Thanksgiving dinner EVER", according to Aaron (love him!).
     One of the side dishes that I've made for the past two turkey days is Carrot Souffle.  Trust me, this dish is anything but difficult and you don't have to tiptoe around the house and keep your voice down while it's baking.  But you do need a super blender - we have the Ninja Master Prep (love that thing!).  The recipe I'll share is the original and will easily feed a family of 6.  If you're a smaller group I strongly recommend halving the recipe (you'll still have plenty!).  And I'll admit that the photos make this side dish look a bit like baby food but the taste is amazing!  Creamy and sweet with a bit of crunch... it's a unique dish that your family will love.  But don't think this side dish is only for Thanksgiving - it would make the perfect side dish for Easter dinner.

Carrot Souffle with Pecan Topping
  • 1 bag (32 oz) ready-to-eat baby-cut carrots
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
  • 6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1. Heat oven to 350.  Grease 11x7" (2 qt) glass baking dish with butter or cooking spray.

2.  In 3-qt saucepan, place carrots and enough water to cover.  Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium.  Cover; cook about 20 minutes or until soft.  Drain; cool slightly.

3.  In food processor, place carrots, 1/2 cup butter, granulated sugar, 1/4 cup of flour, salt and eggs.  Cover; process until pureed.  Spoon mixture into baking dish.

4.  In medium bowl, mix brown sugar, pecans, remaining 1/2 cup of flour and 6 tablespoons butter until crumbly.  Sprinkle evenly over carrot mixture.

5.  Bake uncovered 42-47 minutes or until center is set (I've gone as long as 50 minutes).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment