For two years or so Aaron and I have wanted a pressure cooker and my parents were kind enough to give us a 6-qt cooker for Christmas. This is one of the best gifts ever. Eh-ver.
Once I got over the initial fear of blowing the roof off our building (it is a pressure cooker, after all) I realized that this thing is beyond amazing.... This OMG-good dish took less than 15 to make from start to finish - no joke! It's a wonder how we ever lived without this incredible invention, seriously! (Sorta like when we finally gave in and bought a wireless router for the internet... man, we used to live in the stone age!) Most pastas can be cooked in 6 minutes (without waiting for the water to boil), long-grain rice is done in 7, chicken in about 10 minutes and you can even make desserts in the cooker!
Just a note: We added some leftover spiral ham with the onions and garlic but bacon would be great as well.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup half-n-half
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated fontinella cheese
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
2. Preheat broiler. Release pressure according to manufacturer's directions. Remove lid. Drain and place in an over proof baking dish.
3. Stir half-n-half into macaroni and mix well. Mix together 3 cheeses, reserving 2 tablespoons for topping, and add cheese mixture into macaroni. Mix well.
4. Toss bread crumbs with butter and sprinkle over top of casserole. Sprinkle reserved cheese over casserole. Broil until top is golden brown. Enjoy!