July 16, 2010

Flowers and Blooms

Hello!
   I'll be the first to admit that I have difficulty with changes.  I'm lucky enough to say that for almost 34 years my life has been pretty consistent.   I like my life to be predictable, dependable and in a nice, neat order.  I can safely say that the littlest change in family tradition could cause me to have a near apoplectic seizure.  Even my classroom is neatly organized and run in a series of routines that rarely changes (I have had lots of positive comments by both colleagues and parents that appreciate my attention to routine).  You can imagine what it's like for me each July when Stampin' Up! changes their entire catalog!  
     When I purchase items from SU! I try to choose things that will be around for a while.  I usually don't give in to the mini catalog stamp sets or the embellishments that will be around for 4 months.  What if I got attached to them and then wasn't able to purchase them again?!  Just thinking about that possibility gets my heart racing...
   Today's card is the perfect example of this.  I love the Flower Fusion kit SU! offered last year but was hesitant to purchase it and actually use the embellishments because I knew they wouldn't be around forever.  But I finally gave in and purchased a set.  It wasn't until after I saw SeattleStampers card over at SplitCoastStampers that I knew I just had to do something with the tin that had been sitting in my craft room for months. 
     I kept the color palette the same (I love Pumpkin Pie, Rose Red & Old Olive together) but to make the card a bit more of my own I changed the layout (just a teenie bit) and the sentiment. 
     So I used my Flower Fusion kit.  But what if I want to make the card in the future and I run out of felt flowers?!  Agggghhhhhhh! (deep breath, unclench the hands, deep breath, go to my happy place, breathe...) 
     After calming down, I was able to take a close look at the flowers and realized that they look an awful lot like the flowers in the Birds & Blooms Sizzlets dies.  Hmmmmm, I got my creative juices flowing and decided to make the same card again, this time using the Birds & Blooms Sizzlets dies rather than the felt flowers.  Not bad, and thankfully, crisis adverted.
     While I love the original the best, I can sleep peacefully at night knowing that the card can be easily duplicated at any time!  (aahhh, I feel so much better...)  When do I make the card again I think I'll rough up the edges of the flowers and maybe even pop them up on dimensionals, to give them a more realistic feel. 

Stamps: Thank You Kindly
Paper: Whisper White, Pumpkin Pie, Rose Red, Old Olive
Ink: StazOn Black
Tools & AccessoriesFlower Fusion (retired), 1/2" striped grosgrain ribbon (retired), brads, dimensionals, Birds & Blooms Sizzlets die, Big Shot 

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I think I recognize this card !!!
    a.j.

    ReplyDelete