July 12, 2011

Easy Chicken Pot Pie

      I think I've found a new hobby - cooking!  I just can't resist trying every recipe in my new Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker cookbook.  Although my husband isn't a fan of chicken pot pies I still wanted to give this recipe a try.  Not to toot my own horn (toot, toot) but is probably the best tasting pot pie I've ever had - it's even better than the store brand that we usually buy!
     There are a few things I'll do differently next time.  First, I would use only half the amount of phyllo dough.  The brand I purchased had 20 sheets per half pack and I think that's a bit too much.  The last few layers on the bottom didn't really cook and were a bit rubbery.
  Ten sheets would be perfect.  Next I would definitely score the pastry sheets a lot better.  This would allow you to cut the pastry easier after it's baked.
    ** Note: After a bit of research I found out that phyllo dough is NOT puff pastry.  I repeat, do not use phyllo dough!  I'm new to this whole cooking thing and phyllo dough is what I assumed was meant...  they are not interchangable.  Humph.  If anyone wants an unopened pack of phyllo just let me know, I have no idea what I'll do with the rest of the box!
     Rather than cook chicken breasts ahead of time I chose to use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from our local grocery store (Market Basket has the best chickens!).  These are always delicious and saved me a lot of time.

Easy Chicken Pot Pie
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 tsp finely chopped thyme leaves
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tsp salt1/2 tsp black pepper
3 cups diced cooked chicken
1 cup 2% milk
2 cups frozen peas/carrots
1/2 pkg frozen puff pastry sheets
1 egg
1 tbsp water


1.  Preheat oven to 375. Melt butter and flour on stove, whisking until smooth.  Add chicken broth, whisking constantly until smooth.  Add thyme, pressed garlic, salt and pepper.  Simmer, 6-8 minutes or until sauce is thickened.  Remove from heat.  Stir in chicken and milk.

2. Add finely chopped onion, frozen veggies and chicken mixture to Deep Covered Baker; mix well.  Unfold pastry onto lightly floured surface, seal seams and score to make 8 rectangles.  Lay pastry over filling; press edges against sides of baker and trim excess.  Lightly brush pastry with egg and water mixture.

3. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.  Remove baker from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.


2 comments:

  1. You said to add onion there is no onion in your recipe. I actually had a cookbook for their ceramic pot I just couldn’t find it so I kinda looked it up and I hope you guys enjoyed your food but yes look back if you’re going to do the recipe thing when you say add onion you need to say at how much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also added the onion, and a couple of potatoes cut into small cubes. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete